Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Swimming Legs and Counseling Legs

3.7.12
In our counseling internship last year we often talked about what it was like to be finding your counseling legs. The metaphor was for the floundering we were experiencing when first starting out in the field of counseling. Finding your counseling legs was about going through the process. Often being unsure of yourself, your skills, and where you were going in sessions was part of the learning experience. Everyone hated the process, but we kept telling ourselves it was about the journey not the destination. Penny would call it "finding your counseling legs". I knew what she meant in counseling as I was living it everyday and today I had a hands on experience of the metaphor. 

Becky starting teaching me how to swim laps for our workout. We've been going consistently to the gym since last week because I have a 30 day guest pass. She is determined in her quest of persuading me to buy a membership and after today my resolve to NOT buy one is slowly falling apart. We are having a blast! We usually shower and get ready at the gym which reminds me of my college days. I miss getting ready with girls around. Much more entertaining then all by myself after John leaves for work. Last week we started out on the treadmill the first day, then the next day we did a yoga class. So much fun and I was incredibly sore afterwards. On friday last week I taught her free weights for our arms and today she took me swimming. It was so hard. I had no idea how hard it was to swim laps. It takes pacing yourself to a whole new level when you add being surrounded by water to your breathing. I gagged so many times. Anyway, I am incredibly sore and happy.  And tomorrow is yoga. I am enjoying the variety of the gym - I never have to work out the same way two days in a row. Awesome. I am also enjoying having a workout buddy. We have fun. So enjoy my crazy picture, Becky is the all cool swimming instructor with her dark goggles, and then there's me, student with dorky goggles, complete with goggle marks on my forehead. Ha! Great. 



1 comment: